The Department of Work and Pensions will provide a maximum of £700 for the funeral director’s fee and in addition a contribution to the disbursements (fees Colin Fisher pays on your behalf i.e. crematorium fees).
Funeral Expenses Payment can help to pay for some of the costs of the following:
- Burial fees for a particular plot
- Cremation fees, including the cost of the doctor’s certificate
- Travel to arrange or go to the funeral
- The cost of moving the body within the UK, if it’s being moved more than 50 miles
- Death certificates or other documents
- You can also get up to £700 for any other funeral expenses, such as funeral director’s fees, flowers or the coffin.
The payment will not usually cover all of the costs of the funeral. How much you get depends on your circumstances. This includes any other money that’s available to cover the costs, for example from an insurance policy or the deceased person’s estate.
You can get help towards the cost of a funeral if you meet the following conditions. You or your partner are getting one of the following qualifying benefits:
- Universal Credit
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Pension Credit
- Housing Benefit
- The disability or severe disability element of Working Tax Credit
- Child Tax Credit
- Support for Mortgage Interest loan
You can also apply if you or your partner are waiting to hear about a claim for one of these benefits or payments. We use partner to mean:
- A person you live with who is your husband, wife or civil partner, or
- A person you live with as if you are a married couple
You must meet the following criteria:
- You or your partner arranged the funeral in the United Kingdom (UK), and the adult who died had their main home in the UK when they died (by United Kingdom (UK) we mean England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland)
- You or your partner arranged the funeral and you have claimed within 6 months of the date of the funeral
You may also be able to get help towards the cost of a funeral if you or your partner arranged the funeral in the European Economic Area or Switzerland. The European Economic Area countries are Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the UK.